Monday, October 25, 2010

Color and Contrast in Landscape Poster Designs



To view my film go to: http://www.vimeo.com/
(People search: Jenna DeFalco)


Color and Contrast in Landscape Film/Posters-
The purpose of this film was to capture my personal infrastructure, an abstract perspective of color and contrast focusing on landscape through the lens of a camera. During my investigation of the floral formations found in landscape, I have learned several things:
  • Nature creates a dynamic array of color schemes that change over time
  • We are always provided with innovative color inspiration for our design processes
Along with color, I began observe contrast in different ways to include:
  • The perceptual effect of the juxtaposition of the different colors
  • Contrast as layering within various formations
  • Influences of light, highlight and shadow  
In the film, each clip progresses through the color wheel showing the relationships of color and form in an abstract harmonious scheme.

As the images filter through the lens of the camera, the expanding and contracting movements became a blur, contrasting the foreground and background, vise versa. This process provided me with a new appreciation of forms in color and landscape. 


Process and Posters-
My journey began in Michigan, as I photographed the sunset over the lake as a time-based model. From these images, I became interested in the changing colors and contrasting forms created by the sun as it sets over the lake. 

I wanted to recreate those dynamics in my project. My discovery of color in landscape was captured at the Morton Arboretum and Cantigny Gardens. From there, I focused on overlapping floral formations looking at a number of things to include: color, contrast, light, form, line, scale, unity, proportion and transition to develop my model as seen in the second poster above. 


Poster Designs...Take Two...And Action!




No comments:

Post a Comment